After long time development, China Universities and Admissions are becoming increasingly internationally competitive. Usually, China universities and colleges can be divided into:
Specialized universities such as medical, foreign language and teacher-training universities.
Universities in China has accepted and trained international students for decades.
On Feb 2020, Ministry of Education of the People’s Republic of China announced that a total of 397,635 international students were studying in China in 2019. International students have enrolled in over 811 higher education institutions in China.
Nowadays, foreign students are studying in universities in China not only for Chinese language, but also for undergraduate, postgraduate and PhD programs. Learning Chinese language is an inevitable step when you apply to any national universities in China. Different academic departments have their own Chinese language requirements. Departments such as engineering and computer sciences have a lower Chinese language requirement compare to management and law.
China Universities and Admissions in China
In order to get the right China Universities and Admissions, you need to set your goal of study. For Chinese language and culture learning, you should apply to a university with good Chinese language program with cultural courses. For undergraduate and graduate degree program, you have to consider the academic standard and employment opportunities.
For admission to top universities or graduate schools in China, such as Peking University, Tsinghua University and Fudan University, admission to Chinese taught degree program is limited and extremely competitive. You must be well-informed, well-prepared, and very determined to work very hard to gain admission.
Education categories of studying in China
Institutions of higher education provide education for academic qualifications and education for non-academic qualifications for international students. Education for academic qualifications includes special course education, regular course education, master degree programs and doctoral degree programs；education for non-academic qualifications includes for general scholar programs and senior scholar programs.
(1) Undergraduate programs: applicants for undergraduate programs must have the academic qualification equivalent to senior high school certificate and be under the age of 25. The duration of study is 4 to 6 years.
(2) Master degree programs: applicants for master degree programs must pass the postgraduate entrance examination of China or have out academic performance as graduates at universities in China, be recommended by their universities to be exempted from taking the exam, and be under the age of 35. The duration of study is 2 to 3 years.
(3) Doctoral degree programs: applicants for doctoral degree programs must be recommended by two associate professors or professors and pass the test of relevant Chinese universities and be under the age of 40. The duration of study is 2 to 3 years.
(4) General scholar programs: applicants for General Scholar program must have completed at least two years of undergraduate study, be under the age of 35, and continue the study in the original major. The duration of study is 1 to 2 years.
(5) Senior scholar programs: applicants for Senior Scholar program must have the academic qualification equivalent to a master degree in China, or obtain the qualification for pursuing doctoral degree programs, further their study on a certain subject under the instruction of a Chinese supervisor, and be under the age of 45. The duration of study is generally 1 year.
As today, more and more institutions of higher education in China have enrolled international students in more than 100 cities across the country. The concerned majors include liberal arts, science, engineering, agriculture, medicine, art, sports and so on.
Application requirements for studying in China
A foreign citizen who applies to study in a university in China shall have appropriate qualifications and meet the admission requirements, have a reliable economic security and a guarantor of affairs in China.
Universities will review, test and assess the admission qualification of the foreigners applying for studying in China. The admission criteria are determined by the universities independently. Those students who receive education for academic qualifications in Chinese shall take the exam of HSK.
The admission of international students is determined by universities. Universities shall give priority to enrolling international students in the national plan, and then enroll intercollegiate exchange international students and international students at their own expense.
Universities can also enroll international students admitted by or transferred from other universities under the precondition of getting the agreement of the original universities.
Related: Ultimate Guide to Apply for China Universities in 4 Steps